Thursday, March 6, 2014

Survivor: The Piranha Pool

So, the phrase, 'dog eat dog world,' I never really understood it until the harsh reality of being an adult hit me in the gut. Granted, I'm a young adult, so young, in fact, that I still have 'teen' in my age. But, despite that, I like to think that I know a few things.

One such thing that I know? Survivor SUCKS.

Ever seen that show? A bunch of 'random' folks end up in some dramatic situation and have to, well, survive in order to win the...hundred buck prize or a poster or something. While we watch from our comfy sofas in our fat pants, that just so happen to have some Cheeto powder on them in the shape of smeary fingerprints, we watch these people perform tasks, fight to win, make alliances, stab in the back and chalk it up to entertainment.

Wait, is Survivor still airing? I dunno.

Well, in any case, it USED to be something a lot of people loved to watch. But it's not so fun to live, especially in every day life.

Forming friendships in a scary place doesn't always mean good things. If you're thrown into the deep end of the Piranha pool and told to get to swimmin', you're bound to get hurt in a big way. You find ways to adapt, but you learn the hard way that none of those goldfish with teeth can be trusted.

What happens at that point? Well, when you 'adapt,' you either start growing gills and filing teeth or you pray to God you can get out with all your favorite appendages.

I feel as if I've managed to get my way to the edge, find a comfortable little bubble that allows me to interact and go about my business somewhat merrily. Unfortunately, something I didn't seem to understand the first time around, PIRANHAS HAVE SHARP FREAKING TEETH. A comfort bubble doesn't stand a chance. Why does the beastly fish feel the need to attack? To preserve itself. You're a threat, even when they trust you and it goes the other way for you as well. They're a threat, even when not immediately so.

Survival of the fittest isn't as entertaining when you realize how much it applies to so many facets in life. While my personal life has been returning to it's happy and comfortable place, there are other aspects of my life that I find are having surprising stresses and upsets. I don't like not knowing where I stand. I don't like not knowing who I can trust because it seems that people keep giving me reasons to stop opening my mouth to anyone that isn't me. I can't sell myself out, I can't misinterpret my own thoughts. I can trust myself, usually.

Anyway, I guess this post is mainly to say that, as much as it sucks sometimes, be true to yourself and don't be afraid of loyalty.

Being loyal doesn't make you a bad person or any less of a fantastic folk. Sometimes it might not always be positive or popular, it's scary and sometimes hard, but when you find a way to survive in this crazy game without losing yourself and turning into a monster, hold onto it tight.

I'm still struggling to see where I stand and what exactly my place is but when I know, I hope that I'll have to personal strength to be the person I want to be.

Try to inspire people to be better in all places.

You never know who is watching.

If you do your best, you'll find that there is always something better than the worst thing you've encountered. Keep striving to find that 'better.' Don't give up, you never know how close you are if you stop searching.

Also, it's okay to be careful who you trust. Don't spill your soul to everyone who will listen. Wait to find the ones that aren't just looking for dirt to get you voted off the island.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read what you write, I am amazed, inspired and very proud. Gamma

    ReplyDelete